The interconnected epidemics of anxiety, chronic illness and substance abuse are, according to Dr Gabor Maté, normal. But not in the way you might think.
One in five Americans are diagnosed with mental illness in any given year . Suicide is the second most common cause of death in the US for youth aged 15-24 , and kills over 800,000 people a year globally  and 48,300 in the USA . Drug overdose kills 81,000 in the USA annually . The autoimmunity epidemic affects 24 million people in the USA . What is going on?
In The Wisdom of Trauma, we travel alongside physician, bestselling author and Order of Canada recipient Dr. Gabor Maté to explore why our western society is facing such epidemics. This is a journey with a man who has dedicated his life to understanding the connection between illness, addiction, trauma and society.
Our intention, in producing this film was to inspire an active movement towards a trauma-informed society, a society where:
- We recognize the prevalence of trauma among all of us
- We learn to notice and feel the trauma symptoms in ourselves
- We acknowledge that whenever we have an emotional reaction, an old wound is being triggered
- We understand the imprint of trauma on our behaviours and its impact on our relationships
- We recognize the pain in others and understand how that pain might be driving their behaviour
- We see the real person underneath the behaviour and the trauma
- We support connection and compassion as the foundations of safety
- We know that the experience of safety is the beginning of healing
- We understand that all trauma is intergenerational
Watch The Trailer
STUDENT PRICE: $10 per ticket
NON STUDENTS: $20 per ticket
WHEN: September 1st
TIME: 6.30pm – 8pm screening (please arrive 10-15 minutes earlier to settle in and get comfy)
WHERE: CHEC, D Theatre, Hogbin Drive, Coffs Harbour NSW 2450